PMG recommends a governance review for all organizations take place every 5 to 7 years. A review of the governance structure of the society to ensure that actual practice matches the organization and governance documents. This review will:
- Ensure improved inclusion and diversity within the governance structure
- Ensure transparency and accountability in the way decision-making and responsibilities are distributed and information flows across the organization
- Enable efficient and effective decision-making through clear, delegated lines of authority
- Ensure the governance structure supports the delivery of the strategy and provides a balance of agility, expertise and engagement through a series of focused, time-limited groups, allowing the Board to focus on core strategic areas
- Ensure the legitimacy of governing documents of the organization, meaning that the bylaws/statutes reflect best practice
PMG will also include a communication plan for the structure, so there are clear lines of communication between the leadership and its committees. We believe conducting a governance overview is best accomplished by establishing a task force of members who have experience in leadership roles in other societies. With PMG’s experience, these members can recognize what has worked and what has not for other organizations. This group/task force will review the report recommendations from PMG, ask questions and make recommendations for amendments to the board/governing body of the organization.
Get the conversation started by contacting us today to schedule your review.