By Chelsea McClain
2020 and 2021 will go down in history as two of the most globally transformational years ever. First, we sheltered in place, then we started meeting virtually, and at the same time we navigated unprecedented uncertainty and anxiety. But we’re still here. And our PMG team is stronger than ever! We have thrived in an environment where many, unfortunately, have fallen.
Continuing our momentum into uncharted territory, we developed our new Level 5 Leadership Course for all of our employees.
Level 5 Leadership is a term from author Jim Collins’ book Good to Great. Level 5 Leaders display a powerful mixture of personal humility and indomitable will. They’re incredibly ambitious, first and foremost for the cause, for the organization and its purpose, not themselves. They can be self-effacing, quiet, reserved, and even shy. They never want to become larger-than-life heroes, do not aspire to be put on a pedestal, nor become unreachable icons. Level 5 Leadership is equally about humility and modesty as it is ferocious resolve, and almost stoic determination to do whatever needs to be done to make the company great.
Our Level 5 Leadership Course consists of the following parts:
- Reading one book per month, for 6 months, and discussing them with a COHORT group of 7 peer participants and one or more Trainers.
- Monthly meetings for a second six months to apply the concepts learned from the books read and discussed.
- Watching short videos, reading articles, listening to audio recordings, taking surveys and diagnostic tests, and other supplementary items and activities that complement the reading and discussion.
- Discussion of how our Culture Index assessment results can be used to benefit each individual and their team.
- Development of individual passions and work relationships as part of each person’s career trajectory.
Even if an employee does not directly supervise anyone, we recognize all PMG employees as leaders. We offer to each of them the opportunity to develop their leadership skills for their own personal growth.
The order of the participants and the COHORTs is NOT based on leadership potential nor seniority. It is based on strategic placement for a balanced learning environment, mixing people who work with different clients and also balancing Culture Index profile types within the COHORT.
Our first COHORT began in October, with six more COHORTs starting in 2022. We plan for the full staff to go through the course by the end of 2023.
So far, the feedback has been extremely positive about this new opportunity for personal development.
Are you looking for a new AMC to call home either as a client or an employee? See our website for more information.